The most common questions we are asked about Baby teeth are “when will they come in?” and “when will they fall out?”. While the answer can vary – we have a general timeline for when we expect these things to occur.
Most children will have all 20 of their primary teeth by the time they are 3 years old. By age 21 all of your child’s permanent teeth should have erupted (with the exception of wisdom teeth which may or may not fully erupt.)
Caring for baby teeth can be difficult for parents.
|From 1 to 2 years
- Brush your child’s teeth daily (using non-fluoridated toothpaste).
- Check for signs of early childhood tooth decay once a month. Lift your child’s upper lip and look for chalky-white or brown spots on the teeth or along the gum line. If you see any, take your child to a dentist as soon as possible. Your dentist may suggest you start using a small amount (the size of a grain of rice) of fluoridated toothpaste.
- Switch to a regular cup for all drinks between 12 and 15 months.
- Limit soother use to nap and bedtime.
|From 3 to 4 years old
- Teach your child “2 for 2,” which means brushing twice a day for 2 minutes each time.
- Start using fluoride toothpaste, the amount of a green pea, and teach them to spit rather than swallow. Supervise your child while he/she is brushing teeth.
- Encourage your child to do some brushing with you completing the job, making sure that all tooth surfaces have been cleaned.
- If your child continues to suck her thumb as permanent teeth begin to appear, talk to your doctor or dentist.
|For all ages
- Wash your hands before and after brushing teeth.
- Rinse toothbrushes thoroughly after brushing and ensure that each one can dry without touching other toothbrushes.
- Replace toothbrushes every few months, when the bristles become flattened with use.
- Between meals, quench a child’s thirst with water. Do not offer candy, dried fruit (including raisins) and sugared drinks or juices.
- Take your child for regular dental visits (every 6 months, unless otherwise suggested by your dentist).
To schedule your child’s next cleaning Contact us! (604) 936-1263