Let’s explore some of the most surprising things you probably didn’t know about teeth!
- Your teeth’s enamel is the hardest substance in your body. Just don’t test in on bottle caps because…
- Teeth are the only part of your body that do not naturally heal.
- But on average, people only spend 48 seconds each time they brush – the standard recommendation is 2 minutes!
- So three out of every four Americans has some form of periodontal gum disease.
5. Some snails have more than 20, 000 teeth, even though their mouth’s are no bigger than a pinhead
6. An elephant’s tusks are actually teeth!
7. Giraffes have the same number of teeth as humans – 32
8. You can tell the age of a dolphin by counting the rings on its teeth – just like a tree
9. Barbers used to pull teeth – talk about a one-stop-shop
10. Most Americans did not brush their teeth every day until after World War 2. In WW2, the military required soldiers to brush their teeth twice a day, and they brought that habit home after the war.
11. Neolithic humans filled cavities in their teeth with beeswax
12. The cotton candy machine was co-created by a dentist who called it “Fairy Floss”. Now that’s surprising!
13. DDS vs. DMD – DDS means Doctor of Dental Surgery, DMD means Doctor of Dental Medicine. The degrees are the same as they have the same education but each practitioner can decide what their degree is called.
14. You can’t lie to your dentist – General dentists can tell a great deal about your habits, diet, and oral hygiene routine just by looking at your teeth. They can tell if you floss everyday or just for the days leading up to your appointment. They can also tell what types of foods you eat and whether you grind or clench your teeth.
15. Your dentist is an artist – Dentistry is an artistic as well as scientific profession. Dentists must have an artist’s aesthetic sense, an eye for detail and the manual dexterity to perform precise procedures in a small area.
Call today for your appointment https://austindentalgroups.com/contact/